Saturday, May 14, 2011

Horses…not just for riding.



I’m sorry did you say horse, like as in nay and giddy up?  You have to be joking right?  This was my reaction when a local butcher in Nyon asked if I wanted to try his most prized air dried meat (cheval). Maybe we shouldn’t have laughed, so I tried it (my daughter was with me and wanted nothing to do with it) and I have to say it was quite lean and flavorful, and had a smooth texture with a deep dark red almost purple color, , but I don’t think I will be eating horse again soon.  I learned early on in culinary school that you need to try everything at least once...isn’t that what we teach our kids?  How will you know you don’t like it if you don’t try it?  Being able to experience other cultures starts with trying the food.  But I had no idea people around the world ate horse meat, let alone consider it a delicacy in Switzerland. 
Smoked

Since I have learned this new word, I found cheval (horse) being sold at our local grocery store and on a lot of restaurant menus. As it turns out, eating horse meat dates back thousands of years and today over 1 billion people around the world eat it.  China, Mexico, Russia, Italy, and Kazakhstan are the top cheval-consuming countries.  In Europe, Italy eats over 16,000 tons per year (and this includes donkeys…again...you’re joking, right?) while France, Switzerland, and Germany don’t fall too far behind. The Swiss often dry cure the meat and thinly slice it to be eaten with their traditional fondue.  The interesting thing about Italy being such a huge consumer is the fact that since the 8th century eating “le cheval” has been prohibited by the Roman Catholic Church.  I’m sure this is not the only thing that happens in Italy (and most countries) that is prohibited by the church!  
Sure it can be said that horse meat is very high in protein and many people look at anything on the farm as a form of food...waste not, want not. Though for me I still see the horse as a sentimental animal that can be ridden for fun or sport or kept as a pet, but not eaten for dinner. 
Different ways cheval is prepared
Supermarket cheval

No comments:

Post a Comment